The Pope, as a “vicar” of Christ, in order to ensure that each country has a personal, tangible sign of the Pontiff’s “care for all the Church,” appoints an Apostolic Nuncio (the “one who announces good news”) to both the Church and the government in the United States (Ambassador of the Holy See).
His Excellency Archbishop Christophe Pierre
Titular Archbishop of Gunela
Archbishop Christophe Pierre was born on January 30, 1946 in Rennes, France. He completed his primary education in Antisirabé, Madagascar, and his secondary schooling in Saint-Malo, France, and in Marrakech, Morocco. He attended the Major Seminary of the Archdiocese of Rennes (1963-1969) and the Catholic Institute of Paris (1969-1971).
He did the Military Service from July 1965, to October 1966. He was ordained priest on April 5, 1970, in Saint-Malo, France and incardinated in the Archdiocese of Rennes. He has been Parochial Vicar of the St. Peter and St. Paul Parish in Colombes, Diocese of Nanterre, France (1970-1973).
He has a Master in Sacred Theology (Paris, 1971) and a Doctorate in Canon Law from the Pontifical Lateran University, Rome (1973-1977).
He completed his studies at the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy, in Rome (1973-1977), and started his service in the Diplomatic Corps of the Holy See on March 5, 1977.
He was appointed first to the Pontifical Representation in New Zealand and the Islands of the Pacific Ocean (1977-1981). Subsequently he served in Mozambique (1981); in Zimbabwe (1982-1986); in Cuba (1986-1989); in Brazil (1989-1991); at the Permanent Mission of the Holy See to the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland (1991-1995).
He was elected Titular Archbishop of Gunela on July 12, 1995, and received the Episcopal Consecration on September 24, 1995, in Saint-Malo, France.
Archbishop Christophe Pierre was appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Haiti, on July 12, 1995, where he served until 1999. He has been the Apostolic Nuncio to Uganda (1999-2007) and then, the Apostolic Nuncio to Mexico (2007-2016). He was appointed as Apostolic Nuncio of the United States of America by His Holiness, Pope Francis on April 12, 2016.
Archbishop Pierre speaks French, English, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
Description and Explanation
The motto chosen for the Coat of Arms is Si Scires Donum Dei (“If you knew the gift of God” – John 4:10). A woman of Samaria was sitting by the well when Jesus asked her for a drink of water … “Jesus answered her, if you knew the gift of God and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.” John 4:10
The shield contains 3 symbols:
The white animal is an ermine "passant argent gorged or and lampassed gules" as represented in the Coat of Arms of Saint-Malo, the Archbishop’s home town. The legend says that the ermine would rather die than to have her white fur stained.
The rock represents the granite rocks of Brittany. It is strong enough to resist the constant assaults of the sea. It is therefore a symbol of solidity. The surname of the Archbishop, "Pierre", is the French translation of rock or stone. The Archbishop has also received the mission to represent the Successor of the first Pope, named by Jesus as Cephas (rock or stone).
The river crossing the shield represents the water the woman of Samaria was looking at (the well of Jacob) when Jesus offered to give her living water. It represents also the river which St. Christopher (“Christ-bearer”) was helping people to cross over. Once, a child on his shoulders became suddenly heavy and was revealed to him as being Jesus himself.
The Coat of Arms was designed by Xavier Pierre, a younger brother of the Archbishop. He passed away in 1999.
- Imposition of the Pallium upon His Eminence Joseph W. Tobin, Sixth Archbishop of Newark, Newark, NJ, September 14, 2017
- Opening Mass of the Biennial Meeting of the International Alliance of Catholic Knights, Washington, DC, September 10, 2017
- Imposition of the Pallium upon His Excellency Paul D. Etienne, Fourth Archbishop of Anchorage, Anchorage, AK, September 8, 2017
- Boy Scouts of America National Jamboree, Summit Betchel Reserve, Glen Jean, West Virginia, July 23, 2017
- Mass with Members of the Neo-Catechumenal Way, Trinity College, Washington, DC, July 16, 2017
- Conclusion of the Convocation of Catholic Leaders, Orlando, FL, July 4, 2017
- 25th Anniversary of the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious, Washington, DC, June 27, 2017
- Rededication of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Diocese of Paterson, June 24, 2017
- Catholic Charities, Alexandria, VA, June 19, 2017
- Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ, National Shrine of Immaculate Conception, Washington, DC, June 18, 2017
- New York Catholic Bible Summit, New York, NY, June 17, 2017
- Address to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Indianapolis, IN, June 14, 2017
- Graduation Mass, Divine Mercy University, Washington, DC, May 18, 2017
- World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians, Washington, DC, May 10, 2017
- Catholic Charities Centennial Celebration, Archdiocese of Chicago, Holy Name Cathedral, May 7, 2017
- Commencement Address, Walsh University, NC, April 30, 2017
- A Hermeneutic of Continuity in Defense of the Family, 2nd Binational Pro-Family, Pro-Life Congress, El Paso, TX, April 29, 2017
- A Hermeneutic of Continuity in Defense of the Family, 2nd Binational Pro-Family, Pro-Life Congress, El Paso, TX, April 29, 2017 (in Spanish)
- Feast of St. Mark, Pontifical College Josephinum, Columbus, OH, April 25, 2017
- Mass for the Restoration of Saint Turibius Chapel, Pontifical College Josephinum, Columbus, OH, April 24, 2017
- The Annual Pio Cardinal Laghi Chair Lecture - The Priests we Need Today, Pontifical College Josephinum, Columbus, OH, April 23, 2017
- Easter Vigil, April 15, 2017
- Holy Thursday, April 13, 2017
- Palm Sunday, April 9, 2017
- Mass of Thanksgiving for the Beatification of Blessed Marie-Eugene de l'Enfant Jésus, National Shrine John Paul II, April 1, 2017
- St. Anselm Abbey, March 30, 2017
- Spring Gathering of Diocesan Directors of Catholic Charities, March 29, 2017
- Eucharistic Congress, Diocese of St. Augustine, March 25, 2017
- Solemnity of the Annunciation, March 25, 2017
- Opening of Forty Hours Devotion, March 23, 2017
- The Role of the Catholic University in the 21st Century, Conferral of the Doctorate “Honoris Causa” - Sacred Heart Univ., February 22, 2017
- The Vision of Pope Francis for the 21st Century: An Open World - Sacred Heart University, February 22, 2017
- 26th Workshop for Bishops, Dallas, TX, February 7, 2017
- Youth Rally (March for Life), January 27, 2017
- Saint John Paul II Seminary, January 22, 2017
- Christmas 2016
- Christmas 2016 for EWTN
- Imposition of the Pallium upon His Excellency Bernard A. Hebda, Cathedral of Saint Paul, Saint Paul, Minneapolis, December 18, 2016
- Third Sunday of Advent - Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, December 11, 2016
- Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, December 8, 2016
- Mass for the Deceased Members of the Polish Clergyman's Society, Diocesan Shrine of St. John Paul II, November 29, 2016
- First Sunday of Advent, St. Ephrem Syriac Catholic Church, November 27, 2016
- Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 2016
- Pilgrimage to the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Diocese of Metuchen, November 19, 2016
- USCCB General Assembly, November 14, 2016
- Solemnity of All Saints, November 1, 2016
- Saint Agnes Lecture in Pastoral Theology, Seminary of the Immaculate Conception, Huntington, NY, October 30, 2016
- St.Charles Borromeo Seminary, October 26, 2016
- Canonization of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, St. Patrick's Cathedral, September 10, 2016
- Canonization of Mother Teresa of Calcutta, National Shrine of Saint John Paul II, September 1, 2016
- USCCB Address, Orange, CA, June 2016
Former Apostolic Delegates:
His Eminence Francesco Cardinal Satolli: 1893-1896
His Eminence Sebastiano Cardinal Martinelli: 1896-1902
His Eminence Diomede Cardinal Falconio: 1902-1911
His Eminence Giovanni Cardinal Bonzano: 1911-1922
His Eminence Pietro Cardinal Fumasoni-Biondi: 1922-1933
His Eminence Amleto G. Cardinal Cicognani: 1933-1958
His Eminence Egidio Cardinal Vagnozzi: 1958-1967
His Eminence Luigi Cardinal Raimondi: 1967-1973
His Excellency Most Reverend Jean Jadot: 1973-1980
His Eminence Pio Cardinal Laghi: 1980-1984
Former Apostolic Pro-Nuncios:
His Eminence Pio Cardinal Laghi: 1984-1990
His Eminence Agostino Cardinal Cacciavillan: 1990-1998
Former Apostolic Nuncios:
His Excellency Most Reverend Gabriel Montalvo: 1998-2006
His Excellency Most Reverend Pietro Sambi: 2006-2011
His Excellency Most Reverend Carlo Maria Viganò: 2011-2016